How to Begin Your Herbalism Practice
HOW TO BEGIN YOUR HERBALISM PRACTICE
What fills us up with SO much excitement is the fact that many people as of late, have been asking us how to begin their own herbalism practice.
Here’s what we can provide you with…
Beginning Your Herbalism Practice
You may have arrived here because you want to start making herbal medicine. Maybe you want to make natural and green beauty products. Maybe you are a yoga teacher, reiki practitioner or master, acupuncturist. …Or maybe you just want to start living a healthier lifestyle.
And maybe, you’ve already been playing around with herbs but now, you want to dive deeper to get a true understanding of the plants you’re playing with.
Regardless of where you came from, it seems we’re all here for the same purpose: To begin a journey in which we create relationships with plants and all that they are – so that we may learn about them and utilize them as they gift they were meant to be. (Of course, we also must give back to the Earth, because if there isn’t an even exchange of energy, someone is going to be depleted! But we’ll talk about that later.)
What You’ll Need:
- A passion or curiosity for plants/herbs and the like.
- A teacher, mentor, or guide/ herbal school/ the internet and lots of books
That’s not so much right? What we looked for in a school was a place where we felt the teachers were wise and knowledgable, as well as visual and hands-on. That’s our personal style of how we learn best – when we can soak in all the information as well as work with our hands. Of course, please conduct your own research and discretion to find the right school and programs for your style of learning. If anyone else is based in Southern California like we are, here are a few schools to get you started:
- Self-Heal School of Herbal Studies and Healing – John and Jane are TRULY amazing, wise, and wonderful teachers! I’m biased because I study here, but they honestly are great.
- Blue Wind School of Botanical Studies
Other schools in California:
Where to Get Herbs and Take Your Practice Home
What we love about herbal studies is that there are so many lovely people who have dedicated much time to the study of plants. Because of this – there are so many books and resources at your respectful disposal. Below are a few resources to get you started.
Where to Get Herbs:
- Starwest Botanicals
- Pacific Botanicals
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- …or forage where herbs may be abundant in your area!
- Local Farms/Farmers (with permission, or buy purchasing through a market/vendor)
Books and Resources:
- Clinical Herb Manuals by Michael Moore
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide: 33 Healing Herbs to Know, Grow, and Use
- The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments
What to Expect
Now that you’ve got all these tools, what comes next? It’s hard to predict what you could expect from beginning an herbalism practice – but let us tell you that our personal journeys were extremely eye opening. We've begun an entirely new stage of self-healing, as well as fueling our passions to heal others holistically.
You may want to make everything and anything, from tinctures to salves to creams and balms. The possibilities are truly endless here – and there are so much to learn from the sweetest Mother Earth. Remember as well to start slowly, and ease into this change and shift in your life – as we would treat most delicate things. This practice is exactly that – a practice, and in time will you develop into the herbalist/herbalista you dream of being.
Love + light!
Herb + Nectar
Photos by AshGabesPhotography